Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob
My shredded tofu stir fry recipe was inspired by the lovely Deliciously Ella. It is ridiculously easy to make and only takes 30 minutes to cook. It’s a perfect meal if you’re looking for a quick protein-packed weeknight vegan recipe, but it’s also great if you want to impress your friends with your culinary skills and don’t fancy spending hours in the kitchen.
Ingredients for 2-3 Portions:
1 yellow pepper
½ red pepper
1 tsp of coconut oil (you can also use any other vegetable based oil)
½ red chilli
280g of firm tofu
2 x 150g of stir fry/ready to wok rice noodles
For the sauce:
4 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
3 tbsp of sesame seed oil
3 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
Juice from ½ a lime
1 tbsp of grated ginger
1 tsp of miso paste
1 wedge of lime per portion
A handful of crushed peanuts (optional)
Fresh coriander (optional)
Sesame seeds (optional)
1. Firstly, finely chop your yellow and red pepper length ways so that the pieces are long and thin. Then add to a wok or frying pan with your coconut oil on a low to medium heat.
2. Cook for around 3 minutes and then finely slice your mushrooms and chilli and add to the pan with the peppers.
3. Begin to grate all of your tofu and add to the pan once the peppers have softened. Mix well and then cook for around 10 minutes, stirring often.
4. While your tofu and veg are cooking, you can begin to make your sauce. In a small jug or bowl, add all the sauce ingredients and mix well. Once mixed, leave to one side as we’ll be adding the sauce just before serving.
5. Add your rice noodles to the tofu and veggies and wait until the heat softens them and breaks them up (if you try and force them to separate you’ll break the noodles).
6. Stir all your noodles, veggies and tofu together until the noodles have completely softened (it should only take around 3 to 5 minutes). Then take off the heat, pour your sauce over the stir fry and mis it all together.
7. Serve with a wedge of lime, crushed peanuts, sesame seeds and fresh coriander. Enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.