Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob
I probably couldn't think of a better meal to have after a cold, busy day. This vegan bean stew is packed with protein, natural crabs and delicious, nutritious veg! It is incredibly easy to make and has no scary ingredients so it's also perfect for those looking for Forks over Knives recipes!
Ingredients for vegetable 5 bean stew:
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 red onion
350g of baby potatoes (You can sub for any size potato as long as you cut them small enough to cook in time)
1 broccoli stalk (just cut the florets off an ordinary broccoli and use the stalk)
1 celery stick
1 x 400g can of mixed beans in water
1 vegetable stock cube
700ml of boiling water
1 tbsp of tomato puree
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp of salt (may need more depending on personal preference)
1/2 tsp of pepper (may need more depending on personal preference)
1. Add 700ml of boiling water to a large pan and place it on the hob on a high heat.
2. Begin to cut your potatoes, carrots, celery, broccoli stalk and onion into small chunks, then add them to the water as you go along (just make sure you don't splash yourself as you drop the veg in). Followed by the vegetable stock cube, garlic, bay leaves, salt, pepper and tomato puree.
3. Once the water begins to boil, reduce the heat to a medium heat so that the soup is lightly simmering, then add your tin of mixed beans and stir.
4. Leave to cook for around 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes become soft when pierced with a fork or knife.
5. Once cooked, add any additional salt and pepper to taste, then serve with warm bread. Enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.