Just because you're vegan or trying to cut down on animal products doesn't mean you have to miss out on amazing dishes like shakshuka! Traditionally, shakshuka contains eggs that are poached in a thick tomato sauce. For this vegan shakshuka recipe, we're going to replacing the eggs with cannellini beans for added protein and taste.
This plant-based shakshuka is the ultimate vegan brunch recipe, whether you're trying to impress some friends, or just fancy a good Sunday brunch!
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob
Serves: 2 if served as a main, or 4 if served as a side
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 bell peppers (we chose red and orange)
1 medium red onion
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 red chilli (optional)
1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
1/2 tsp of ground coriander
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1 x 400g can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 tbsp of tomato puree
200ml of water
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Chopped parsley or coriander
Lime or lemon
1. Firstly, thinly slice your peppers and onions lengthways and add to a deep pan (with a lid) with your olive oil. Place on the hob and fry on a medium heat for around 2 minutes.
2. In the meantime, de-seed and finely chop your red chilli along with your garlic. Add the garlic and chilli to the pan and cook for roughly 30 seconds.
3. Add the cumin, paprika and ground coriander to the pan and stir well. Then add all the remaining vegan shakshuka ingredients and stir well.
4. Increase the heat to bring the shakshuka to a boil. As soon as it starts to bubble away, reduce to a low heat, pop a lid on the pan and leave to simmer for around 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Once your peppers are super soft and smelling amazing, you're ready to go! Serve with a slice of bread, yoghurt, sliced avocado and a squeeze of lemon or lime. Enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make easy vegan recipes. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. Browse our collection of plant-based recipes today!