Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and food processor with grating function (you can use a grater instead but it will take much longer)
Who knew that using cauliflower rice would not only make this dish look like a traditional bolognese. It's definitely one of those dishes that you can also sneak some extra vegetables in. I've added courgette, mushrooms and spinach previously so if you have any vegetables that need using up, why not add them in! If you have any leftovers, it's great the next day for lunch or dinner. You can also freeze the sauce for a day you don't fancy cooking. This vegan bolognese recipe can also be used as a jacket potato filling or with some tasty warm bread.
Ingredients for Cauliflower Bolognese:
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp of tomato puree
4 sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1 tsp of balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1 vegetable stock cube
500ml of boiling water
1 tbsp of olive oil
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Fresh basil to garnish (optional)
1. Firstly, finely chop your onion and add to a pan with olive oil on a low heat.
2. While your onions are cooking, begin to chop your cauliflower and add to your food processor using the grating function (you are essentially making cauliflower rice).
3. Once you have made your cauliflower rice, add to the pan with the cooked onion and stir.
4. Then add your pressed garlic and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Fry for around 3 minutes and then add all your other ingredients.
5. Mix it all together in the pan and then increase the heat so that the sauce begins to boil. Once it starts bubbling, reduce the heat to a low simmer.
6. Cook for around 20 minutes, stirring often. In the meantime, you can begin to cook your spaghetti.
7. Add any additional salt and pepper to taste and then serve with a garnish of fresh basil!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.