Total Prep and Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and blender/processor (I used a nutribullet style blender)
This meal is so easy to make and so delicious! You can add or take away any toppings to suit your pizza needs. When you cook a tortilla base like this, it makes it so crispy and goes perfectly with any pizza toppings.
A pizza without cheese can be just as tasty, but you have to have a good variety of flavours. A good pizza sauce and caramelised onions add that perfect amount of sweetness and adds that next level of tastiness that cheese usually dominates. Although, vegan cheese still tastes great on this pizza!
Portion wise, I would definitely go with 1 pizza per person if you have other sides to go with it. If not, then consider cooking more than 1 per person or you might end up a bit hungry. The tortilla base is not as filling as a typical dough base.
Shout out to Joe Wicks for coming up with the tortilla pizza concept!
Tomato Sauce for 4 Pizzas:
If you have any pizza sauce leftover, definitely keep it. It tastes just as delicious with pasta.
1 x 400g tin of tomatoes (chopped or plum)
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 garlic cloves
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 small red onion
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Caramelised Onions for 4 Pizzas:
2 large red onion
1 tbsp of olive oil
2 tbsp of maple syrup
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1. Firstly, turn the oven on to 180 degrees.
2. Then, add tinned tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil, onion, oregano and basil to your blender. Blend and then put the sauce in a pan with a lid, and cook on a low heat. It may spit a bit so the lid is important!
3. Leave your sauce to cook for around 10 minutes.
4. Chop your red onions and add to a separate pan with olive oil on a low heat. Cook for around 5 minutes or until the onions are soft, then add your maple syrup. Cook for a further 5 minutes and add salt and pepper.
5. Spread the sauce over the tortilla base and then add your toppings. I added spinach, mushrooms, cherry tomatoes and caramelised onions.
6. Then put your pizza on a tray and put it in the oven for around 7 to 10 minutes. You want the toppings to have turned soft and the edges of the tortilla to become crispy.
7. Then, take out of the oven and serve!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.