Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob, oven and food processor/blender
I seriously can't get enough of katsu curry, for me there's no other curry that compares to it. This delicious vegan katsu curry recipe is completely plant based, made from apples, celery and spring onions. It's really easy to make and takes only 30 minutes from start to finish.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Katsu Curry:
1 tsp of coconut oil
2 medium sweet potatoes
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
1 tsp of coconut oil
4 spring onions
1 celery stick
200ml of boiling water
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tsp of rice wine vinegar
2 tsp of curry powder
1 tsp of grated fresh ginger
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
130g of rice
Water (refer to the packet instructions)
1. Firstly, turn on your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Then peel your sweet potato and slice finely. The thinner you can cut it, the quicker it will cook.
3. Then in a pan, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and add your sweet potato to it on a low heat. Mix it all together until the coconut oil has melted and covered the sweet potato.
4. Then remove off the heat and put your sweet potato on an oven-proof tray. Sprinkle with around 1/4 of a tsp each of salt and pepper and then put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flip each piece half way through to make sure it's evenly cooked.
5. In the same pan that you melted the coconut oil in previously, add another tsp of coconut oil on a low heat. While it's melting, start to peel and chop your apples into small chunks and gradually add to the pan, mixing regularly.
6. Then chop your spring onions and celery and add to the pan along with fresh ginger and curry powder.
7. Cook for around 3 minutes then add your boiling water, vegetable stock cube, salt and pepper. Increase the heat until it begins to boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for around 20 minutes, stirring often.
8. While your sauce is cooking, begin to cook your rice according to the packet instructions.
9. Check your sweet potato, if it's cooked by now, turn your oven off and leave to keep warm.
10. Once your curry is cooked, add to a food processor with your rice wine vinegar. Blend until smooth and then serve with rice and sweet potato.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.