If you're like me, you may come to a certain time each week when you run out of every fresh thing in your fridge and have to resort to raiding your cupboards to make a meal. It's hard enough finding all the ingredinets to make a meal, let alone one that is delicious and nutricious!
People of the world, I present you with my favourite vegan soup recipe in the whole entire world. This is my spicy tomato and lentil soup, pretty much made with cupboard ingredients only (apart from onion and garlic, but they're always in my cupboard so they kind of count, right?).
Even though this delicious vegan soup recipe only uses standard ingredients from the cupboard, it is packed with goodness, protein and veg - so you can enjoy it as part of a healthy lunch or light dinner.
The soup is spicy (you probably got that from the title), but you can enjoy it without the spice if that's what you'd prefer. Just skip the chilli powder from the ingredients list below.
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp of olive oil
400g can of chopped tomatoes
750ml of boiling water
100ml of orange juice
1 tbsp of tomato puree
100g of orange split lentils
400g can of cannellini beans (you can also sub for any other type of beans)
1 vegetable stock cube
2 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1. Firstly, slice your onion into small cubes, then add to a deep pan with the olive oil. Place the pan on the hob and cook on a low to medium heat.
2. While your onions are cooking, begin to peel your garlic and then finely chop or press it. Once your onions have softened (after around 3-5 minutes), add the garlic to the pan.
3. Cook the garlic for around 30 seconds before adding all the other ingredients to the pan.
4. Increase the heat so that the soup begins to boil, and then reduce to a light simmer. Pop a lid on the pan and leave to cook for around 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure the lentils don't stick to the pan.
5. Once your soup is cooked, dish out and serve with buttered bread. Enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.