Total Prep and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and blender (optional)
I made this meal for one of my #Hangrycookingclub Instagram live cook alongs and I got so much positive feedback. Most people were surprised how easy and quick it was to make but also how amazing it tasted considering the time and effort required. It also contains plenty of what I like to call ‘secret vegetables’ so it truly is the perfect meal if you’re trying to sneak some vegetables into a fussy eater.
Tips for cooking this meal:
The recipe does make quite a lot of sauce so you can choose to use it all or save some for later/freeze it (I always use it all). I blend the sauce up so that it's nice and smooth, but if you don't have a blender you can skip this step.
Ingredients for spicy tomato and courgette pasta:
1tsp of olive oil
1 small red onion or ½ a large onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed
4 salad or plum tomatoes
2 tbsp of tomato puree
50 ml of almond milk (you can also sub for any other kind of milk)
½ tsp of dried oregano
15g of fresh basil
2 tsp of balsamic vinegar
½ or 1 large red chilli (optional)
1 tsp of salt (you can add more to taste)
1 tsp of pepper (you can add more to taste)
200g of pasta (you can also sub for GF)
1. Firstly, chop your chilli, onion, courgette and tomato into small cubes and then add to a large frying pan with the olive oil and dried oregano. Cook on a medium heat for around 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
2. Once all your veggies have softened, add your garlic, balsamic vinegar, tomato puree, almond milk, salt and pepper. Stir well and continue to cook for another 5-7 minutes (this is also a great time to cook your pasta according to the packet instructions).
3. Once your veggies are soft and fully cooked, add to a blender and blend until smooth. If you don’t have a blender that’s absolutely fine, your sauce will be just as delicious!
4. Finely chop your fresh basil and add to the sauce.
5. Drain your cooked pasta and combine with the sauce. Serve and enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.