Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and oven
If you fancy a spicy dinner or lunch that is packed with so much goodness, this vegan chilli recipe is for you! I served it with a fresh wedge of lime, homemade tortilla chips and fresh avocado. It also goes perfect with coconut yoghurt and fresh coriander.
If you have any of this delicious vegan chilli left, it freezes really well or tastes even more delicious the next day. You could also try it in a tortilla wrap with leftover rice, guacamole and salsa, burrito style!
For the Chilli:
1 medium red onion
1/2 a tbsp of coconut oil (can use olive oil instead)
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 x 400g can of mixed beans or pulses
1-2 large red chilies
1 red bell pepper (optional)
500g of passata (you can also sub for a 400g can of chopped tomatoes)
100ml of water
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of cumin
1/2 tsp of paprika
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
For the Tortilla Crisps:
1 tortilla wrap (you can also sub for GF wraps)
A wedge of lime per portion
Sliced avocado or guacamole
Chopped spring onion (optional)
1. Firstly, turn your oven on to 200 degrees C so that it's nice and hot for your tortilla chips later on.
2. Chop up your onion and red pepper, then begin to fry in coconut oil on a low heat. While they're cooking, thinly slice your red chilli and garlic. Once your onions have softened (around 5 minutes) add your chopped garlic and red chilli. Cook for around 30 seconds and then add the passata, water, cumin, paprika and chilli powder.
3. Raise the heat to bring the passata to boil, once it begins to bubble reduce the heat again to a light simmer. You might need to put a lid on the pan as passata can spit!
4. Drain and rinse your mixed beans and add them to the pan along with salt and pepper. Cook for around 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime, you can begin to cook your rice according to the packet instructions.
5. Cut your tortilla wrap into triangles and place on a baking tray with a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the tray in the oven for around 5-7 minutes, turning the tortilla chips around half way through. Once they've gone crispy and turned to a golden colour, take out of the oven ready to serve.
6. Serve your chilli with your rice, tortilla chips and a wedge of lime each. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.