I find that a good vegan soup is my go to meal when I fancy something quick, filling and full of goodness - and this soup is no exception. This tomato soup has a hint of roasted red pepper and added spinach for some extra iron. From start to finish this delicious plant based soup takes just 30 minutes, and that applies to every single recipe here at Defying Hangry.
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and food processor/blender
1 red onion
2 red peppers
2 tbsp of olive oil
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 x 400g can of chopped tomatoes
500ml of boiling water
1 vegetable stock cube
2 handfuls of spinach
1/2 tbsp of chilli powder
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1. Firstly, turn the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Then, slice your red peppers into small chunks and cover with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Place in the oven for around 20 to 25 minutes, stirring half way through.
3. In the meantime, chop up your onion and add to a pan along with 1 tbsp of olive oil on a low heat. Cook for around 3 minutes and then add in your pressed garlic and chilli powder for a further 30 seconds.
4. Then, add in your chopped tomatoes, boiling water and vegetable stock cube. Stir together and raise the heat and bring to boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer and cook for around 20 minutes.
5. Once cooked, add your soup to a blender or food processor along with salt, pepper and the roasted red pepper. Blend your soup and then once smooth, put back in your pan.
6. Then mix through your spinach (the heat from the soup should wilt your spinach).
7. Add additional salt and pepper to taste and then serve.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.