Total Prep and Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and blender (you only need the blender of the dressing)
This vegan fritter recipe is a marriage between hash browns and onion bhajis - a match made in heaven! They are so quick to make and taste amazing with the fresh and zingy coriander sauce, or served on their own as a tasty snack. They're also naturally gluten-free and nut-free.
Tips for cooking this meal:
Always keep an eye on the fitters while they're cooking - they can go from golden brown to burnt very quickly.
These fritters also go great with a yoghurt sauce
Ingredients for 12 Small Indian Potato and Onion Fritters with a Coriander Dressing:
For the Potato and Onion Fritters:
100g of Gram Flour
1 medium white onion
1 medium potato
3 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
1 green chilli
1/2 tsp of baking powder
1tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp salt
6 tbsp of water
1 tbsp of lemon juice
200ml vegetable/sunflower/rapeseed oil (you may need more if you are cooking the fritters in small batches)
For the Coriander Dressing:
10g of fresh coriander
1/2 a salad or plum tomato
1tsp of grated ginger
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1/2 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
To Serve (optional):
1. Firstly, add your gram flour, lemon juice, water, chopped green chilli , coriander, baking powder, cumin, turmeric and salt into a large mixing bowl.
2. Then, thinly slice your onion length ways (so each piece is long and thin) and add to the mixing bowl with the other ingredients.
3. Peel your potato and grate it. Put the grated potato into a thin cloth and squeeze all the juice/starch out of the potato over the sink or a separate bowl. You want the potato to be quite dry so do try and squeeze as much of the liquid out as possible. Then add your grated potato to the mixing bowl.
4. Mix all the ingredients together so that the potato and onion are evenly covered by the batter, it may be easier to do this with your hands.
5. Once the mixture is ready - add your oil to a small deep pan and place on the hob on a medium heat. Once the oil has had a chance to heat up, begin to drop around a tablespoon of the mixture into the oil, repeating this until your pan has a number of fritters in it, but enough room to flip them.
6. Cook each side for around 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
7. Once your fritters have cooked, add all your dressing ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
8. Serve your fritters on their own or on a bed of salad, enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.