A good soup brings back a lot of warm memories for me. It reminds me of the days when my mum would batch cook loads of soups on a Sunday ready for the week. She would cook them slowly all day. But, you don't have to cook them for hours for them to be just as delicious.
This carrot and parsnip vegan soup is so warm and comforting. It's got so much goodness in it that will make you feel full and healthy after eating it. I served it with warm bread and crushed walnuts (optional).
This soup is just as delicious after freezing and makes a perfect lunch or dinner. It could also go nicely as a pie filling when combined with other vegetables and puff pastry.
A good tip to bear in mind when cooking garlic, is to try and not fry it for too long before adding the water and stock. The longer you fry garlic, the more bitter it goes. II you have a plastic blender or food processor, it's wise to let the soup cool before you blend it to avoid it cracking.
With that in mind, let's get started!
Total prep and cooking time: 35 minutes
Equipment needed: Hob and blender
1 large red onion, chopped
1 tbs olive oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
5 carrots, chopped
4 parsnips, peeled and chopped
1 large sweet potato, chopped
1 vegetable stock cube
400ml of coconut milk
600ml of boiling water
Salt and pepper
Crushed walnuts for garnish (or fresh parsley for a nut-free recipe)
1. Firstly, chop all your vegetable into small pieces. The smaller you cut them, the quicker they will cook.
2. Start by frying the chopped onion in the olive oil on a low to medium heat. Once they are soft, add your carrots, parsnips, sweet potato, followed by the pressed garlic.
3. Add the vegetable stock cube, coconut milk, boiling water, salt and pepper.
4. Raise the heat, once it starts to boil, reduce to a low heat to simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
5. Blend your soup in a processor. Finish by garnishing with crushed walnuts.
If the soup is too thick for your liking, feel free to add more water.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.