Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and oven
Freezable: Yes, just the rice
All I can say about this Mexican rice bowl recipe is YUM. It is so delicious and so healthy - I can't get enough of it! It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish and everything about it is nutritious and fresh. You can also serve it with some homemade tortilla chips, all you need to do is put one tortilla wrap directly on the shelf in the oven at 180 degrees for 5-8 minutes. Any leftovers make the perfect lunch or dinner the next day, or as a burrito filling!
Ingredients for Mexican Rice Bowls:
1 large sweet potato
1tsp of coconut oil
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
200g of rice
1 vegetable stock cube
650ml of boiling water
2 tbsp of tomato puree
1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1 spring onion
1 x 400g can of kidney beans
100g of frozen or tinned sweetcorn
1/2 a lime
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
2 plum or salad tomatoes
1 small red onion or 1/4 of a large red onion
1 tbsp of chopped fresh coriander
1/4 lime (you'll need one lime in total for the entire recipe)
1 red chilli (optional)
1 ripe avocado
Fresh coriander (optional)
Additional lime - 1 wedge per portion (optional)
1. Firstly, turn on your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Then peel your sweet potato and slice finely. The thinner you can cut it, the quicker it will cook. Then in a pan, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and add your sweet potato to it on a low heat. Mix it all together until the coconut oil has melted and covered the sweet potato.
3. Then remove off the heat and put your sweet potato on an oven-proof tray. Sprinkle with around 1/4 of a tsp each of salt and pepper and then put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flip each piece half way through to make sure it's evenly cooked.
4. In the same pan that you previously melted the coconut oil in, add your rice, boiling water, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, stock cube and tomato puree. Mix together and then increase the heat to bring the rice to boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce to a low simmer. Cook for around 20 minutes, stirring often.
5. In the meantime, let's make some salsa! Cut your tomato, red chilli, onion and coriander finely and place into a bowl. Then add around 1/4 of a tsp each of salt and pepper, along with the juice from 1/4 of a lime and then mix together.
6. Cut your avocado ready to serve, rinse your kidney beans and chop the spring onion.
7. After your rice has cooked for around 20 minutes, add the sweetcorn, spring onion and kidney beans to your rice and cook for a further 3 to 5 minutes on a low heat. Check your sweet potato, if it's cooked, turn your oven off and leave to keep warm
8. Then squeeze half a lime over the rice and mix together.
9. Put your rice in a bowl and then place a spoonful of salsa, chopped avocado and sweet potato, serve with a wedge of lime and chopped coriander.
If your rice is not cooked after 25 minutes, add a tiny bit more water to the pan and cook for a bit longer/once the rice has cooked.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.