All I can say about this vegan Mexican rice bowl recipe is YUM. It is so delicious and so healthy - I can't get enough of it! It takes just 30 minutes from start to finish and everything about it is nutritious and fresh. You can also serve it with some homemade tortilla chips, all you need to do is slice one tortilla wrap into triangles and place on an oven tray. Then, sprinkle with salt and cook in the oven at 180 degrees for around 5 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Any leftovers make the perfect lunch or dinner the next day, or as a burrito filling!
Can I use any rice?
For this recipe we have used white basmati rice. You can use any rice, however results may vary. If you choose to use brown rice you may need to add more water as it will take a lot longer to cook.
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and oven
Freezable: Yes, just the rice
1 large sweet potato
1tsp of coconut oil
1/4 tsp of salt
1/4 tsp of pepper
200g of white basmati rice
1 vegetable stock cube
550ml of boiling water
2 tbsp of tomato puree
1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of chilli powder
1 tsp of paprika
1/4 tsp of garlic powder
1 spring onion
1 x 400g can of kidney beans
100g of frozen or tinned sweetcorn
1/2 a lime
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
Fresh coriander (optional)
1. Firstly, turn on your oven to 180 degrees.
2. Then peel your sweet potato (or not) and slice finely. The thinner you can cut it, the quicker it will cook. Then in a pan, add 1 tsp of coconut oil and add your sweet potato to it on a low heat. Mix it all together until the coconut oil has melted and covered the sweet potato.
3. Then remove off the heat and put your sweet potato on an oven-proof tray. Sprinkle with around 1/4 of a tsp of salt and then put in the oven for 20-25 minutes, flip each piece half way through to make sure it's evenly cooked.
4. Add your rice to a sieve and rinse thoroughly with cold water to remove any starch. Then, in the same pan that you previously melted the coconut oil in, add your rice, boiling water, chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, salt, pepper, stock cube and tomato puree. Mix together and then increase the heat to bring the rice to boil. Once it begins to boil, reduce to a low simmer. Cook for around 15 minutes, stirring often.
5. Rinse your kidney beans and chop the spring onion. After your rice has cooked for around 15 minutes, add the sweetcorn, spring onion and kidney beans to your rice and cook for a further 5 minutes on a low heat.
6. If the rice is still hard and crunchy, feel free to add a bit more water and cook for longer until it is no longer crunchy. The rice should be firm or soft, but not crunchy. Check your sweet potato, if it's cooked, turn your oven off and leave to keep warm
7. Put your rice in a bowl and then place the cooked sweet potato on top. Serve with fresh salsa, guacamole or avocado, a wedge of lime and chopped coriander.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.