Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob, oven and blender
Freezable: Only the pizza sauce
Trying to make a pizza from scratch in 30 minutes is pretty much impossible. So here at Defying Hangry, we have substituted the dough for flatbread and the results are amazing! The flatbread turns nice and crispy just like a thin crust pizza base. The recipe takes less than 30 minutes to cook and that includes the tomato sauce and cheese! The type of flatbread I used is folded flat bread from the supermarket, here's an example.
Tips for cooking this meal:
Portion wise I would definitely say 1 each if you have plenty of sides, if not then go with 2 flatbread pizzas per person.
Ingredients for Flatbread Pizzas with Homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese:
Fresh basil to garnish
Vegan Mozzarella Style Cheese:
1 tsp of lemon juice
200ml of almond/soy/oat milk
1 tsp of cashew butter (optional)
2 tbsp of nutritional yeast
1.5 tbsp of tapioca flour
Approximately 1/2 tsp of salt
Approximately 1/2 tsp of pepper
You will most probably have some sauce leftover. If so, it tastes just as delicious with pasta and can easily be frozen for any future pizza making.
1 x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp of olive oil
1 small red onion
1/2 tsp of dried oregano
1/2 tsp of dried basil
1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1. Firstly, we're going to turn the oven on to 200 degrees so that it's nice and hot by the time we put the pizzas in the oven. Keep the tray that you want the pizzas to cook on in the oven so they are also hot. This will help your pizzas crispen and cook quicker.
2. in your blender, add tinned tomatoes, salt, pepper, tomato puree, garlic, olive oil, onion, oregano and basil. Blend and then put the sauce in a pan with a lid, and cook on a low heat. It may spit a bit so the lid is important! Leave your sauce to cook for around 15 minutes, stirring often.
3. In another pan, mix together your tapioca flour and milk, once it's mixed turn the hob on to a low heat (you should always mix flour with a cold liquid to avoid it going lumpy). Then add nutritional yeast, cashew butter, salt , pepper and lemon juice to the pan. Continue to mix until it begins to thicken and become stringy (this should only take around 5 to 10 minutes). A good test is if the cheese sticks to the spoon when you lift it out.
4. Place your flatbread on the hot tray form the oven. Then spread your tomato sauce over followed by small dollops of the cheese, I put around 3 dollops per flatbread. If you want any further toppings, it may be a better idea to cook these separately as your pizzas will most probably cook quicker than any toppings you place on it.
5. Then place your vegan pizzas in the oven for around 5 to 8 minutes. You want the flatbread to become crispy. Then take out of the oven, slice up and serve with a garnish of chopped fresh basil!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.