This delicious vegan dhal recipe ticks every single box! It is packed with SO much goodness and tastes amazing with coconut yoghurt, rice and naan. It is the definition of a curry in a hurry as it only takes 30 minutes from start to finish.
If you have any curry leftover it freezes great or tastes just as good the next day for lunch or dinner. You can also use any leftovers to make a curry pasty. Just dollop the curry in some short crust pastry, fold to make a pasty shape and bake for around 30 minutes at 180 degrees.
Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob
1 red onion
2 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tbsp of coconut oil
2 tsp of grated fresh ginger
1 x 400ml can of full fat coconut milk
1 x 400g can of chickpeas, drained
100g of red lentils
250g of pre-cooked green lentils
1 vegetable stock cube
400ml of boiling water
2 handfuls of spinach
100g of cherry tomatoes (roughly around 5 to 7)
Juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp of tomato puree
1 tbsp of curry powder
2 tsp of ground cumin
1 tsp of garam masala
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1. Firstly, chop up your onion and add to a pan with coconut oil on a low heat. Cook for around 3 minutes, or until they've softened. Then add your grated ginger and garlic, followed by your curry powder, cumin and garam masala, and cook for a further minute.
2. Then add all your remaining ingredients, except the lemon and spinach. Mix it all together and raise the heat to a boil. Once it begins to bubble, reduce the heat to a low simmer.
3. Simmer for around 20 to 25 minutes on a low to medium heat, stirring often.
4. Once your curry is cooked, take off the heat and then add the spinach and juice from the lime. The heat from the curry should wilt the spinach.
5. Serve with all your sides and enjoy!
If the curry is still quite runny after the suggested cooking time, you can simmer it for a bit longer so that the liquid evaporates.
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make easy vegan recipes. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. Browse our collection of plant-based recipes today!