Total Prep and Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Equipment Needed: Hob and oven
This vegan aubergine recipe is so delicious and easy to make. The aubergine goes so soft but the marinade goes so sticky - it's basically a match made in heaven. If you fancy trying some of my other asian inspired recipes, I would definitely recommend my shredded tofu noodles or Vietnamese banh mi sandwich - they're both my absolute favourite.
For the Aubergine:
3 tbsp of sesame seed oil
3 tbsp of soy sauce or tamari
1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/2 tbsp of finely grated ginger
1 tbsp of maple syrup
1/2 tsp of pepper
1/2 lemon (1 wedge per portion)
1. Firstly turn your oven on to 200 degrees C.
2. In a bowl add your sesame seed oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, pressed garlic clove, grated ginger maple syrup and pepper - mix it well until you have a smooth marinade.
3. Then, slice your aubergine length ways so that each slice is around 1cm in thickness. On each slice of aubergine, begin to score it making diamond shapes using a sharp knife, you basically want to pierce the surface of the aubergine but not cut all the way through it - this is to help it cook quicker and so the marinade can get into the aubergine better. It is best to score the aubergine on each side of the slices.
4. Begin to cover the aubergine in the marinade and then place on a baking a tray. If there is any marinade leftover, pour the rest onto the aubergine on the baking tray.
5. Place the tray in the oven and cook for around 20-25 minutes or until the aubergine is soft. In the meantime you can begin to cook your rice or anything else you want to serve your sticky Asian aubergine with.
6. Take your tray out of the oven and enjoy!
If you made this, I would love to hear from you! Comment below or get in touch on Instagram.
Here at Defying Hangry, we make delicious and easy vegan recipes that take no longer than 30 minutes to cook. All our meals contain a range of nutritious and easily accessible ingredients - to make even the busiest of mealtimes easy, healthy and quick. As well as vegan recipes, we also share a range of vegan gluten-free recipes and vegan nut-free recipes.